Saturday 28 January 2012

Friends are special treasures

Ah, I just love this sentiment set - by Hero Arts - spotted on Sandra's blog and it has so many terrific sentiments it's a great favourite here now. Apart from the time making the roses and leaves, this was a quick and easy card to put together, all things considered:
Firstly, I got the idea a good while ago from Bernie's blog for using the wispy feather - and the ribbon/lace/mesh stuff pinched together in the middle is an idea I got from Jules blog. Hmm, with the sentiment as an idea from Sandra - oops, plus the roses from Jules blog and also Sandra's - I ain't coming up with much originality in the components today - but I did pick the colours, design and stuck it all together all on my lonesome :))

I used:

- 6" x 6" square white card stock

- grey Core'dinations card for the background

- white 'lace' from stash (Hobbycraft) stuck across the grey backing card and tied in the centre with a piece of white cotton before sticking it onto the white card

- white marabou feather and little pearl stems from stash - both from Hobbycraft

- green leaves die cut and embossed using Marianne Creatables 'Roses' die set. The roses were also cut, using dies from the same set and pink two-tone marbled paper

- sentiment from the 'Live Life' stamp set by Hero Arts, stamped using Versacolor 'White' ink pad and then embossed using white embossing powder

Have to admit, I approached the Marianne roses with a lot of trepidation (eeek, a big word) as so many people had struggled with them. I need more practise to be able to wind them into shape properly but I did find a great tutorial which helped oodles, once again on Jules  blog - here's the link. I found it's not easy to wind them all to the same tension if that makes sense, even using a cocktail stick, but hey - roses aren't always uniform anyhow as folk have said. I used Crafter's Pick Incredibly Tacky glue for the first time and it's great stuff.

I'm entering this into the current Make My Monday Challenge 'Flowers and Leaves'. 

Hope you're having a super start to the weekend! The playground closes at midnight and I'll be back tomorrow with the week's roll call and the weekly jangling of the keys to reopen the gates :)

Di
x

18 comments:

  1. Oh, WOW! This is just gorgeous! SO elegant--the colors go incredibly well together and those flowers and feather spray are amazing! Thanks for joining us this week at MMM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Di this is spectacular! I'm thrilled I was able to inspire you in some way but you know I was inspired by someone else a long, long time ago. Isn’t that was these blogs are all about, passing on what we learn and learning from one another. The card is all yours. The colors are stunning as are your roses.
    Hugs
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant card Di and thanks for the links esp the tut on Jules blog it is a real beaut one! Shaz in oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. And lovely it is too Di! One of the great things I have found in blogland , is the wealth of new techniques and ideas, and loads of new stamp companies etc that I have encountered through other people's work. It is how we put it all together that makes it our own. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, a very glamourous card...stunning and that flower die is a fave of mine. Thank you for entering the make my monday challenge. Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOH Di . . . this is FANTASTIC. Clean and just, well, luscious! Love the colours too.

    I'm in full agreement with Bernie . . . blogland is great for inspiration. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Di

    Your card is gorgeous, I love the dark background and stunning flowers.
    Just beautiful.

    Yes you are right I used chalks for the sky and grass. (it's easy to rub out if you go wrong !!)
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Di

    A gorgeous make!!

    Love your gorgeous roses with the feather and pearl embellishments.

    I have found another way of curling up the roses which is working quite well for me.

    I found an old "quilling tool" amongst my pens in the desk and it is perfect for curling from the middle of the flower outwards (if you know what I mean)!!!

    Have a great weekend. See you in the playground tomorrow Miss.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the simplicity and elegance of this. Thanks for joining us at MMM.
    Valx

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW what a lovely card, colours are great together and what lovely roses. Altogether a very elegant card.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely card Di, its so pretty and delicate :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great card Di, I have this die cut, and am still not 'in love' with it!! Maybe I should just keep on trying?? xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's great that we get inspiration from all our blogging friends and your card shows it too! beautiful and so Elegant is your card Di:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous card, love the lace and your flower looks brilliant, like the white sentiment on the grey.

    Bet you were a copycat at school too. lol.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous - you've brought all the individual elements together to produce the most beautiful card. Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nope Kath, folk use to copy MY homework on the school bus when I was a kid! So. it's my turn for payback now - you cheeky little Imp! Snort, snort!! :) Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty card. Thanks for sharing this with us at MMM this week and wishing you good luck.
    Fliss x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.