Saturday 10 August 2013

A blast from the past

Waaaay back in time, when I started card making in earnest, I bought a shed load of die cut frames. This was before I even knew about desk top die cutting machines and amongst them was a great favourite, a triple aperture, that I used on many a card in those early days. Trying to find space for some new goodies the other day I came across a big packet of die cuts and some triples were still lurking. So I made three of these:
 I used:

- small DL cream linen card stock - again, bought eons ago

- gold triple (as opposed to tipple) aperture frame - probably from Craft Creations

- backing paper, a blast from the past by Craft Creations called 'Ivory Small Stars With Foil'

- Paper Studio 'Holly and Berries' gemstone stickers - bought in New Mexico last year

- then I cut up some squares of the linen card stock using the 'deckle' blade on my Woodware trimmer and stamped (on the non-linen reverse) the sentiment in gold before popping onto the card with thin sticky pads. The little sentiment is from SU's 'Joyous Celebrations' set

That makes a total of 57 Christmas cards all ready to just write and send. I'm not being smug, 'cos no-one likes a know-all, but it feels good to be a bit ahead of the game. However, we do send out absolutely loads of Christmas cards - mostly due to my globe trotting past - so there's still a lot to make yet :(

And, did you seeeeeee the fabulous 'card stand'?! I've craved one of these for years ever since I spotted Bev Rochester using one to display her cards for photos. It's a Yankee Candle (or similar) Jar Lid and Kay will confirm that we searched high and low for one the same or similar last September in NM. The wonderful Maureen of ScrappyMo kindly gave me one of hers on Wednesday, all the way from Canada - I love it to pieces! Thank you again Mo! Must admit, it sits on my desk and keeps being stroked with little whispers of 'My preciousssssssss'.

Remember the Playground closes at 11am today - UK time - and will re-open at midnight. I'll do the draw for Ryn's Raindrops stamp, plus the normal weekly prize - and next week I'll be asking you to help to name our new Playground mascot :)

Di
x

15 comments:

  1. How exiting to see the stand in use already! So glad you liked it.

    I had such a wonderful day with you and Sam...it was such a treat that I shall treasure forever!

    It was so much fun to meet IRL...and truly an honour that you gave up a whole day to spend with me and also drive so far!

    I have been gazing longingly at my new Wild Rose stamps and will have great fun with them once home again.

    Your aperture card looks great...what a scare to find you still had more of those gold frames. They suit the sentiment and embellies you used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic card. It's just lovely as can be, and lucky you to get this wonderful topper from Miss Maureen. Very pretty, and I would not have thought to use this as a display stand! Whoee! You clever people. I've got some of the P.Studio pretties you've used here, - now I know a use for them! Clever once again. I'm so glad you girls are having a fine time. Can't wait to see who wins the Ryn. I'm waiting this time..before ordering...just in case--- you KWIM! I've been to the site drooling though. Used the water droplets first time & absolutely loved the way it stamped out. If you're with 'the girls' ya'll have fun. TFS & Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic card design.

    Regards diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am so very jealous Di! I love the thingy for putting your card into and not surprised you keep stroking it! Moo sounds as lovely IRL as she is on tinternet!
    I think I had some of those frames at one point too! Gorgeous Xmas card and I love those little gem stickers, stunning!
    Is the mascot a bird, ahem, maybe a wee sparrow lol?
    Not doubt I'll have a thing or two to share at the playground. Must go have a look at some more of the lovely creations. Have a good weekend Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh - I would love one of those stand thingys - I have never seen them here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the shimmer of that gold really nice and I have admired those card stands out and about too - so happy you got yours LOL..Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous card - I have some frames like that......... somewhere !!!! :-D I might just have to firk them out now, having seen this :-)
    What a delightful card holder...... I am insanely jealous !!!!

    Hugz
    IKE xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Course you don't sound smug........ MUCH..... 57 christmas cards??? You're starting to get on me nerves now!And the card stand as well...... saying nowt!!! Great use of the apertures - I have/had some of them somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like I got some catching up to do then!! Great card. As you know I have given alot of my old stuff away to the Brownies.
    Love that stand. You kept that quiet on Wednesday!
    So excited about the mascot cos I know what he/she is! Tee Hee! Wonder what it will be named!!
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never mind how many cards yer made I knows where yer live. Coming straight over for that there stand. You little tease you youv'e got us a sheep doggy after alls!!! Hugs Mrs a.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh blimey you have set me off Di - I have a box of these aperture things! We really ought to give them a come back - lol. What about the mulberry paper as well.

    As for the lid, I thought it was a specially made thing and have also been looking for them all over the place. This looks brilliant!

    Big hugs Sue Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I saw the stand, and it's gorgeous! Crafty people are so kind.

    What a lovely CAS Christmas card, and congrats on using up your stash, it sounds silly but I find that really difficult! Must Try Harder!

    Have a great weekend!

    love Mags B x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant!! So many cards made, clever girl :D This little beauty looks fab on your new stand :D Have a wonderful weekend Di, hugs Gay x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Di how nice are these Dies already cut and in fabulous gold foil they look brilliant and your card is gorgeous nice stand too! enjoy your weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  15. How many Christmas cards!?!

    You are doing well!

    I bet you could make a mountain of those triples with your snippets LOL!!

    Loving your card stand. What a special gift .. .. and a special memory of a special day!

    Hope you are having a good weekend.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.