Friday 23 August 2013

Origami kimono

Next time you are staring into thin air, twiddling your thumbs with nothing to do other than make teas and coffees for gardeners - take one piece of thinnish paper, 6cm wide and 21cm long, and rustle/fold yourself up a kimono:
I used:

- 5" x 5" square white card stock

- square of black glossy card from the snippets folder, corners punched with a 'notch' punch and gold cord wound round.

- kimono made using a 6cm x 21cm strip of paper and not cut at all, just folded, from a 'Kimono Bloc' of paper made by Art and Crafts. I've had these for years - shame on me it was a first play at actually using them as intended though. I don't think they sell them any longer and, origami is NOT going onto my list of every day things to do - it was tricky-woo and right at the last knockings I very slightly ripped the little perisher - hence the two black Josy Rose nail heads :)

- the little lanterns were die cut using a fabby die that ScrappyMo gave me on her recent day with Sam and myself, and 'hung' from loops of gold cord. The die is by Memory Box, 'called 'Paper Lanterns'. To use the fairly thin (another piece from the same paper pad) paper with the dies I stuck it onto a snippet of black card using double sided adhesive sheet before die cutting. Some of the papers do have lovely small patterns but if you do feel crazy enough moved to make little kimonos those papers aren't essential, although an appointment with a shrink immense patience certainly is a requirement. This is a tutorial link I found (after making the kimono) on YouTube. The dimensions are different to mine but the folding process is exactly the same as the instruction sheet that I got with the Kimono Bloc

- sentiment was stamped onto a snippet of yellow card (the yellow is exactly the same as the lanterns in real life - lying little toad of a camera yet again) using a little sentiment stamp from a Woodware set called 'Oriental Ladies'. The set dates back to when Oriental was all the rage a few years ago and this was the first time I'd used it, shame on me

And then I went and stuck my head under the cold tap to restore my senses. 

Di
x

13 comments:

  1. How about that? It is already tomorrow in your land. I think I'd rather clean the grout in the shower with a toothbrush than rustle/fold myself a kimono. That origami stuff makes me insane. I do like that it didn't drive you over the brink and your fab card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After my book making class with Annette and nearly making a frog I'm sure I could manage one of these :-)
    Fab card Di.
    Hugs,
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You obviously have far more patience than me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow clever you. This is just fab. I made a tiny material (6" high) kimono once that nearly drove me nuts.
    p.s. The Doc decided this morning the bit of wood wos not off the roof!!! Give me strength.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok,enough, get out from under the cold tap now Di . . . you're ok!

    Well, even if it did nearly drive you insane, it's a great result!

    Sianora!

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go and take yourself out and give yourself a stiff talking too Lass! On the other hand, take yourself from under the cold tap and get down the Playground and show us ALL how it is done!
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How clever are you this is amazing Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hee hee! Got a mental image of soggy Di sitting in the sink lol :-). I feel the same way about quilling - no patience, me!!

    Hugs, Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, Di, a neat little gadget that notch punch, can't say I've ever seen one before. Love the card, the little kimono was worth the effort and the little lanterns are so sweet. I believe that Oriental is making a comeback so you could be on the vanguard of its second wave. Hugs, Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Firstly, congratulations on the showcase at LIM, well done it was a fab card.
    Mmm, I remember when the Oriental was in, I bought a set of stamps and hardly used them and people were just not sure about cards with them on. Also at that time at our local craft club I did a 8 cards in 2 hours evening, where I made 8 cards and had all the bits and pieces for them to make the eight and one was using a Oriental stamp and one Lady totally refused to make it as she said she didn't have anything to do with Japanese as she was there in the War, well how did I know?
    Good job done though on putting this together.
    My Sister had 2 more seizures today, I am gutted.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah yes I remember this kimono in particular - it was a right rotten b***er and I regularly tore the paper and then it was thrown to the other side of the room. I have a tutorial somewhere for an easier one - must dig it out and use some more of the lovely paper my friend Rocky sent me.
    Congrats on the LIM too Di - I knew that card was something very special Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous Di I love it! I haven't got over yesterday yet too much sun and lots of laughter hahahaha had a great day was sad to see it end huggles Sue xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a precious Asian-themed card! I love the origami kimono and especially those cute lanterns hanging! Adorable card!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.