Monday 19 August 2013

Ramping up the magnetic book marks

A few of you will know that I love to make magnetic 'flip over the page' bookmarks. For a while now, thoughts of how to make them more long lasting had been whirling round - rather than just plain card I normally use which in time would wear, probably get a bit grubby etc. Meeting up with Annie (Wipso) last week was the catalyst I needed to have a play and blow me down, it worked!

The difference is that I made the bookmarks larger, then laminated them - wahoo, success:
I used:

- plain white card stock - after stamping and colouring the bookmarks ended up at approx. 2" x 6" - laminating does lend itself more to these bigger bookmarks I suspect

- stamps used are poppies from Hero Arts' 'Delicate Blossoms' set and mixed flowers from Kanban's 'Stamp 06' set. Stamped with Stazon black ink pad and coloured with Whispers pens - which don't 'bleed' through the card

- tiny little butterfly stickers

- then I cut the bookmarks to size and laminated them. My laminator is just a cheapo one from Lidl and it worked a treat

- trimmed the excess lamination from the sides and ends and rounded each corner with XCut corner rounder punch. I did cut right up to the edge of the card rather than leave a little margin of clear lamination round the edge. I did a few experiments first and just didn't like the look of the clear edge - that might have given them an even longer life I guess but I reckon these are robust enough to last a good long while

- had used ready scored card which helped immensely when it came to then lining up the laminated bookmarks in the Hougie board and giving them a good creasing down the score line - on both sides so they fold as tightly as possible

- all that was left to do was to add the magnet pairs to the insides of the bookmarks and then clear up the HUGE mess of stamps, pens, sample tries etc.

I reckon these would be great with all sorts of things, pressed flowers would look fabulous for example.

If you haven't guessed, the poppies bookmark was for Annie (Wipso) as she loves poppies and the mixed flowers for Jo (Twiglet)  - I scouted through Jo's blog and thought these colours were very much 'her'.

Di
x

22 comments:

  1. Hi Di,

    What a great idea! I still have the bookmark you gave me when you and Len were here. I also loved the book you left me to read and have since passed it on.

    LLJ is putting New Mexico on her bucket list -- what do you think of having a WOYWW retreat here?!?

    Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. A brilliant idea and wonderful, stunning bookmarks Di.
    luv
    ir3ne
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. /these look wonderful.
    The ones you gave me are carefully packed in my carry on bag which DH sternly tells me weighs close to 20 pounds.
    My reply? Ohhhh, great, that means I have one more pound to fill!

    While I like my little ones, I can see that this size is better for the laminator. How cool that you can buy them so reasonabley at Lydl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love your beautiful bookmarks.
    luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  5. How well you know us both ....they are just perfect. Thanks so much.
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your book marks,
    have a lovely week
    hugs Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the bookmarks. Laminating them is a great idea. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea Di. You could make glittery ones as well as glitter would be trapped. Just an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still using the magnetic ones you gave me a long time ago Di (just to prove that they DO last) . . . but lamination is sure to make them even more durable. Great idea.

    These two are very pretty.

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea and even prettier in real life!!
    LLJ xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are gorgeous - what a fab idea - Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these Di. I still use the one you kindly sent me. It's still doing pretty well actually and not looking grubby at all. But maybe I'll run it through the laminator just to be on the safe side.
    Hugs
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so beautiful and what a brilliant idea to laminate them! Those flowers & tiny butterfly accents look so pretty, they'd distract me from the reading material :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These Di are truly lovely book markers and l like the theme you have used xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are gorgeous Di and a lovely way to make them last longer by laminating them - love it! Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful and personal bookmarks for your friends, Di! Great idea to laminate them. I noted your thoughts on the flowers, too. I still have a lot of my neighbors pressed flowers ... may have to get myself a laminator ... Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea Di!! huggles hun Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely bookmarks! I adore my laminator and this is sure a handy use for one :)


    Best crafty wishes!
    Amber
    Staying Crafty

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are brilliant and a great idea about the laminate, I love the poppy one as I bought the stamp too, but not seen the other flower one but it looks really great.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are gorgeous Miss. I have got the bookmark you gave me but haven't used it as I don't want to get it grubby so great idea of laminating them.
    Hugs

    PS I am fancying going to the Crop in New Mexico. Can I sit with you please?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. My little bookmark is perfect - thanks lots Di - it is already in use in my latest "read". x Jo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.