Sunday 11 March 2018

Pixie's Snippets Playground - Challenge # 320 - results

Hi there! Thank goodness (at least in the Playground) the snow has all gone. In truth it disappeared really fast once the temperature went up a bit - along with some good old English rain of course. I know lots of folk are still having issues - both with snow and also flooding. Sending you every hope for better weather, wherever you live, really soon!

At last I'm more organised and have started to line up some Guest Designers. 

Our lovely Kathy K is first up and, bless her, did her GD card in double quick time:
What a stunning card - and so perfect for a chap! Kathy used a technique that's totally new to me called 'The Black Ice Technique' - which is pretty appropriate given our recent weather! I'm adding the link to one tutorial here as a reminder for myself - and would love if you could hop over to Kathy's blog to find out more about her card and how she made it - as well as to say 'Hi' of course.

I just watched a couple of 'Black Ice' You Tube videos again and can't wait to try this technique out. I think it's possibly the closest look you'll get to Dufex foiled images (remember those?) although I haven't yet seen results in real life, and the technique would be totally fabulous to try on Christmas cards. You don't need to rush out and buy lots of special supplies either - I think you only need some silver/gold/copper etc. foiled card (your choice), black archival ink, a clear Versamark pad, clear embossing powder and a heat gun. 

Here's a photo of the lady herself:
Beautiful eyes Kathy! And here's a few words from me about Kathy. First of all, in her profile she says that she'll try most crafty things, and she sure isn't kidding. Not only that, she really does persevere with techniques (whereas I confess to giving up on a few in my time!). Her output continues to amaze me - so much beautiful work and always with the right finishing touch (I certainly don't think to stamp my envelopes to match cards, it's a brilliant idea though!). As I already said, Kathy is always keen to try new techniques - and share them with her followers - as well as being one of my big-time shopping enablers! She has a real knack of finding that stamp that you really had no idea you desperately needed :)

Thank you once again for being our Guest Designer for this fortnight Kathy - Parsnip sends a special hug!

Onto this last fortnight's picks now - one Gold Star and three picks:
I really love this woodland scene, so beautifully made by Lia! Every little detail is so carefully thought out - plus the dimension is stunning. An added extra is the fact that it's also a rocker card of course. Lia - you really are so worthy of a Gold Star this week - do please feel free to take the Gold Star badge from the right hand side panel for your blog. Gorgeous work!

This is a really fun card, made by Carol L! It certainly made me smile here and such brilliant use of several little snippets in different colours. I don't really like garden creepy crawlies but this little chap with his body of hearts could stay for sure - love those little dangly legs :)
 
Jenny L always makes such beautiful cards, packed with loads of detail and also very tactile. This one really is a delight, I'm sure you'll agree. And, Jenny used so many varied snippets as well - love it! And, have I been hiding under a rock? There are some fabulous inks around called Izink - inks pads and bottles - only sayin'!

My hands are staying firmly in my pockets, although the colours look gorgeous. Too many items here have just one outing or so - Brushos and the Tim Holtz Distress Oxides are a case in point, sigh.

I chose this final pick as Lynn (Linby) had struggled long and hard with the die set to make this work. Lots of snippets used of course and I love the fresh and modern result, which shows that patchwork doesn't always need a traditional look. For sheer Percy Veerance, as well as a great outcome, I'm sure you'll agree that this really had to be included here.

We had some discussion about patchwork pieces of card not always sitting together perfectly - and I agree with Lynn that it might be different weights and thicknesses of card to blame. Also, when you butt pieces together there just may be a minute little gap (which will really make your teeth itch!). This is very much the case when you use those 'card front' patchwork panel dies - the cut of the die does mean a miniscule gap. The closest I've come to resolving this is to use backing card behind the patchwork which is as close as possible to the colour(s) of the pieces in the middle of the range of colours I've chosen to use. You can trim it to the size of the patchwork and then carry on and mat and layer as you wish. It's not a perfect solution - but then, a hand made card is special regardless. Sometimes we really are too hard on ourselves aren't we?!

I can't say it enough times, it's so hard choosing the weekly picks as all your entries are little works of art and very special.

We had no new Playmates this fortnight but we hit 69 entries for the 2nd challenge running!

Prize draw time now and our winner of the Sugar Pea 'HOME' die and a set of co-ordinating 'Home' sentiments is:
 
Well done Susan! Do please send me your address, with full name at the top so I can copy and paste please. I'll be off to the Post Office ASAP once I have your details - you're gonna just love this die and set of stamps!

Please put Playground Winner or similar in the subject line of your email in case it drops into my junk mail. Email address is on RH sidebar as always.

Remember folks, there's still almost another week to run on Challenge #321 HERE. The prize is a Concord and 9th 'Sprinkles' Turnaround stamp set.

Love from the little white peril Parsnip (he's been waaaay too quiet this past few days so I'm wondering just what he's plotting!) - and of course me,







20 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Thank you so much :D What a fabulous prize and pick me up!! Email is on it's way <3
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful picks! Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cards! I enjoyed all of them but Lia's is just awesome! Love all the animals! Congrats to all winners! I'll check out the tutorial, Di, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great male card and another new technique to check out - brilliant. Love your picks and know it must be really difficult to cut it down to three when you get so many clever and lovely entries each time. Pleased the snow disappeared so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, a Gold Star for my woodland card: thank you so much Di, I feel very honoured!
    Also the other picks are so very nice.
    Have a nice day,
    Lia xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see Kathy as your GD this time Di and a brilliant technique which looks fabulous on this masculine card. Wonderful picks as usual and congratulations to Susan for winning this time. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to Susan on your win and to all the other notable creations that have been spotlighted this week! Thanks for including my card among those too Di :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness another new technique. Can you lend me a few extra hrs. Up to my eye balls here with stuff going on. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to Kathy for guest designing, I will pop on over as I have never heard of that technique either. Sounds fun and this is a fab male card. Lovely pics especially that super cuter caterpillar..what fun. I'm glad the snow has gone Di, it really caused my family problem after problem! Hugs to you and Parsnip xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to Kathy, such great masculine card! Big congrats to the top picks, especially to my friend Carol! :) Well done to all and congrats to the winner!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How can you not use Brusho's more than once?? I love em. Check my blog for easy ideas. I have a label for them. Not got into the DO's yet, cos I only have 2. Saving my pennies. Congrats to the winner and top picks. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail - I'll hop on over for a look! Di x

      Delete
  12. Congratulations to all the lovely picks this week and to the winner of the prize.
    Great post Di and have commented on Kathy blog, even though she annoys me, she goes to America quite a lot and picks up some super stamps from there which I would love, jealous - moi!

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab DT card but we got homework! Only kidding, just off to try and find out more about this black ice technique from the video. Thanks for sharing my labour of love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done to all those who have been showcased, especially the gold star winner.

    FAB technique used on Kathy's card and a brilliant masculine card to boot.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. congrats to all!
    those are so great cards!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. All fabulous cards and I love that garden creepy crawly. Congrats to Susan on her win xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kathy's guest designer card is fab! I must look up that technique and pop over to Kathy's blog too for a browse! Gorgeous gold star and picks and congratulations to Susan. Hugs to you and Parsnip who is hopefully not plotting anything to dodgy! xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. The highlighted picks of the week are fab...every single one of them.
    Congratulations to Susan.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.