Wednesday 7 March 2018

To stamp or not to stamp?

I totally love the sentiments in one of Stampin Up's quirky stamp sets - and turned to it recently when making a Birthday card for a lovely blogging buddy. I know that the card has now been opened, so it's safe to post this:
I used:

- 4.25" x 5.5" white card blank, tent style

- using the Misti stamped the image and split sentiment (from SU's 'Just Kidding' set) onto a snippet of white card stock - using Memento 'Tuxedo Black' ink

- then selected the spotted backing paper (it's from Dovecrafts Back to Basics 'Bright Spark' paper pack) and also the plain mustard card (from the snippets folder) for 'frames' - before going any further

- next coloured the image using Faber Castell Polychromos pencils - picking out colours from the spotted backing paper

- die cut the image/sentiments panel using a Creative Dies 'Wonky Stitches - Nesting Rectangles' die

- trimmed all the additional layers to suit and just glued them all together before adding them to the card front

- finally added a strip of spotted paper along the bottom of the inside of the card - just for fun

Ha, my in-house critic liked the image but thought the spotted paper was 'too busy'. He really IS very much Less is More :)

There's one thing I would probably do differently in future - it took me several stampings, although the stamps are poly/clear ones plus using the Misti with graph acetate, to get the split sentiment as level as possible. When I'm unsure I always stamp onto spare paper first - too mean to risk wasting decent card stock! Got there in the end, albeit a tad to the right!

Another time, I'll try using an elongated speech bubble die for the first part of the sentiment and then adding it later - which means it's only the lower wording and the image that need to be in line/level. As they say, hindsight is 20/20 vision!





27 comments:

  1. Hi Di, a cute card, love the sentiment but I think you are being a little hard on yourself, I can't see any alignment problems... have a wonderful week... Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute love the sentiments words we all live by:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous,card, Di, I love the image......and the sentiment is so true. I think the spotty paper looks great, especially as you've picked out the colours to use on the image. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really fun card Di = I love it! Tell your in-house critic that the spots are her ideas circling. making it impossible not to stamp....:-)
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a fun card for your friend to open! I think the dotted paper looks great--no offense to your in-house critic--haha! Isn't that the perfect sentiment for all of us--love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah ah ah!!! Fabulous card Di, this image makes me laugh !! :D Great CAS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fabulous card and I love the sentiment (which looks perfect to me!).
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect card for a card making friend. Personally I love the spots xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. DEFINITELY "TO STAMP" - fab make Di, loving your spots and faux stitching

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply gorgeous card Di brilliant stamp you used too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the humour here - a great card. I'd not noticed this in the catalogue so maybe another browse is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A really fun card, I don’t think the dots are too busy at all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the paper as a mat. This is the cutest card. Love the question and answer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's gorgeous Di! To me it doesn't matter if things aren't level, because they are hand stamped, and that's the main reason why I won't get a stamping platform... the cards don't need to be perfect because it's the thought and creation that matters.
    Hugs,
    Em xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's gorgeous! Love the fun image and sentiment and the paper is perfect! The sentiment is absolutely fine, the odd thing not perfectly central is what made with love is all about! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fun card Di! And the sentiment is so true! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I'm glad you added that dotted paper because I think it adds to the fun and isn't too busy at all. As for trying to line up the two part sentiment, that is my biggest challenge. I can't ever get the placement right, no matter what I do. So, I usually just have to put it out of my mind and just let good-enough be okay. As for your card though, I can't even see a problem with the placement at all, but we're always our worst critics aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super fun image and a great sentiment, bet the card went down really well, the dotty paper goes perfectly with the image and gives you plenty of colour choice for the image.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  19. A fantastic card and such a super sentiment too.
    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well it all looks tickety boo to me. I like the spotty paper so don't go rubbing them out. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a funny card. I had such a grin on my face as I read it.

    The stamping looks perfect to me...what would we do without our Misti! Makes me want to use my clear stamps more!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a gorgeous fun card, gorgeous colours. I would love to be a GDT at your challenge. Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOl..that's one cute card and so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  24. CUTE card Di! That image and sentiment are so funny.
    I haven't forgotten you - or the playground at all - but have been wanting to use more snippets when I finally came over to play. Believe it or not, I'm working on a card this afternoon that I feel will qualify and will get it entered as soon as I finish. I'm not a fast card maker at all! More like a snail!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well, I ADORE the spotty, dotty paper....and I also have had the privilege of inspecting this card close up and I see nothing at all wrong with the placement of the sentiments! lol... I am thrilled to have been the fortunate recipient of this wonderfully witty, bright, and happy card. It is all perfect, Di. I love it. The sentiment even made my guys chuckle!
    <3 J

    jwoolbright at gmail dot com
    HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. BRILLIANT fun card Di, the sentiment looks perfect lined up to me and the spotty paper is great xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much if you take the time to comment!

This is a public blog. Those leaving a comment on any post on this blog or entering a piece of artwork into a linky do so in the knowledge that their name and blog link are visible to all who visit this blog and in so doing have published their own personal details and consented to my use of that personal information should they be selected as a winner or to accredit work.